History the house U Zlateho jelena (At the Golden Deer)
The house of the Golden deer, sometimes also called the house of the Czech lion, is the house no. 598 between the streets Stupartska (no. 6) and Celetna (no. 11). It stands beside the Milessimovsky Palace near the Old Town Square. It is a protected cultural monument of the Czech republic.
The first mention of the house dates from 1366 when the owner was Rufus Jelen (Deer). At that time, there was a narrow alley between the house of the Golden deer and Milessimovsky Palace. The house was originally Romanesque, in the second half of the 13th century was extended.
From the years 1429 and 1433 have been preserved records of value of the house, which was very high. This could indicate that the house was palatial and perhaps in the late 14th century radically rebuilt almost newly built. During this renovation the house got today´s layout, only the alley between the house and Milessimovsky palace still existed. During the Renaissance, the house was rebuilt mainly in its back part. In Stupartska street was built a completely new part.
At the beginning of the 17th century the house was owned by the Lords of Mitrovice, a hundred years later by the Earls of Drum. In the first half of the 18th century the house was substantially rebuilt in Baroque style, which is documented from 1725. Completion took place in 1737 (dating on the gate). The facade to the Celetna street is a little younger. At this time was also destroyed the aforementioned alley. Minor adjustments of the house are younger classicism (e.g. new staircase in the back of the building, new galleries).
Since 1781 the house was also notable of its function. There was set up so-called „little post“, popularly called „klapačkova (of clappers)“. The task of such post office was fast delivery of letters to Prague or to a distance of three miles from the city. Post for the lack of interest was abolished in 1820.
In 1893 the house was enlarged with a new part of the building in the yard. From 1869 to 1949 it was the seat of the Prague publishing house an bookstore Alois Hynek, who greatly contributed to the rapid growth of the Czech cultural level. After 1989 – the Velvet revolution - the house came into hands of the family.